Saturday, April 13, 2019

Arrow Making Party

A handful of Concordian archers gathered at John and Janna's house last night for the first arrow-making party of the season! We spent a large portion of the night inspecting the loaner arrows on hand, identifying those that needed repairs, and discussing supplies for future sessions.

After a tasty dinner, we got down to work. Our first order of business was to paint two dozen new shafts white (we decided that made the baronial loaner arrows super easy to identify). We tried to set up outside, but it was just windy enough to make that an exercise in futility. So we moved into the basement, where we worked until the paint fumes drove us upstairs.

While the new shafts were drying, we got to work on repairs. John has a six-arrow fletching rig, which is SO much more efficient than my single-arrow jig. Elena and I are both relatively inexperienced fletchers, so John walked us through the process. It's so satisfying when the finished arrows come off the jig!

I was also able to re-tip a dozen of my Pennsic flood arrows. It was my first time using heat-set glue instead of glorified superglue for the tips, so I was a bit nervous. John demonstrated on the first arrow, and then guided me through the second. After that, I was off and running! I need to pick up a crème brule torch so I can do these repairs at home in the future.

We anticipate practice being rained out on Sunday, so we have planned to continue arrow-making activities instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

4/7/19 Royal Round

I had a very good day at the range today! 😊 20: 22 20T: 17 30: 15 (a new personal record!) 40: 2 Total: 56 Averaged with my last tw...