Monday, September 16, 2019

September (So Far)

I went from No Archery Whatsoever for most of the summer into All Archery All the Time for the past few weeks!

Hunter's Moon was Aug. 31 and Sept. 1. I didn't shoot at all on Saturday, because after being on my feet for two hours straight retaining for Her Highness, I just didn't feel up to more standing/walking. But Sunday I got my bow out. There was a novelty shoot in addition to the standard RR. I started off the day focusing on 40 yards, which turned out to be a Series of Frustrating Events. No matter what I tried, I couldn't seem to even hit backstop, nevermind achieve scoring arrows.

...until I shifted one gate to the right.

I literally spent an hour shooting from the same spot, trying to control everything from my aim point to my stance to my breathing, with no success. I don't know WHY shifting one gate to the right made the difference, but it was a good reminder of a lesson I had learned earlier this season (and then forgotten about during my hiatus): if something isn't working, change things up.

I only shot a 44 for my RR that day, but I submitted the score anyway. It won't affect my average, and it helps document archery participation (go, Omnibus Peerage!).

The following weekend was Panther Vale's annual archery event, Lost Tip. It's one of my three favorite archery events of the year (along with On Target down in Atlantia, and the Coppertree Holiday Shoot out in AEthelmearc). It featured three ranges: a static range with RR targets and two timed novelty shoots, a walking range with 3D targets in the woods, and a roving range that involved lobbing shots at unknown distances, trying to get as close to a stake in the ground as possible.

The last time I went to Lost Tip, I did the static range and the roving range. Therefore, this year I really wanted to make sure I did the walking range. As a fully warranted marshal, I got to lead my own group through the course, which was cool. The two archers that accompanied me were delightful, and though we lost a few arrows in the brush, we had a great time!

I wound up with a final score of exactly 100 points for the day, which landed me in third place of the archers who submitted their scoresheets! First place was 169, and second was 137.

Lost Tip RR
20: 15
20T: 19
30: 10
40: 10
TOT: 54

The very next day was Concordia's archery practice, which I was actually running because John was out of town. Elena was my hero, though--she came out to support me even though she couldn't shoot (fresh arm tattoo), and she actually ran the line the whole time so that I could actually shoot! I nailed down two RRs, the higher of which I submitted, and then I went on to do the extra timed ends to complete my first-ever IKAC!

9/8/19 Practice RR
20: 18
20T: 12
30: 16
40: 7
TOT: 53

9/8/19 IKAC
20: 18, 14
20T: 12, 12
30: 16, 11
30T: 3, 5
40: 7, 1
40T: 0, 0
TOT: 99

Yesterday, John was back in town for archery practice. I drew up a target face for the fall SSAC, and we set that up along with the 20, 30, and 40 RR targets. Counting the score for the SSAC was … trying. It requires math! For this particular shoot, a LOW score is better.

Fall SSAC
Timed: 20
Untimed: 14
Total: 34

Then I switched over to shooting the RR. At the 20, I adjusted my stance slightly--after drawing, I kicked my left hip back a tick, which I think improved my total body alignment, because … wow. I mean, the difference was measurable and immediate. I explained to John what I had done differently, and he tried it too--with the same immediate improvement. 😮 I'm not seeing a LOT of difference at 30 and 40 yards with this yet, but John also saw improvement at 30.

9/15/19 Practice RR
20: 25
20T: 16
30: 10
40: 4
TOT: 55

We're going to offer a special, extended practice option next weekend, explicitly for folks who want to shoot the IKAC. And the EK's top IKAC archer (and newest Tyger of the East!), Peter the Red, may be joining us at a practice in the not-too-distant future--I look forward to the opportunity to watch him shoot, and maybe even receive some guidance from him!

No comments:

Post a Comment

4/7/19 Royal Round

I had a very good day at the range today! 😊 20: 22 20T: 17 30: 15 (a new personal record!) 40: 2 Total: 56 Averaged with my last tw...